Monday, November 13, 2017

Beach Fever

By Kaitlyn Libby
Grade 7

I must go back to the beach again, to the gentle ocean breeze,
And all I ask is a sunny day and the salty tang of sea,
And a light, cool wind upon my face and shells along the beach,
And the splash of waves and tiny fish that stay beyond my reach,

I must go back to the beach again, to the seagulls' lonely cries,
And all I ask is a windy day when waves begin to rise,
And the blowing sand and ocean spray that rests upon my face,
And the wild waves whose tips are flushed with cool, white foam like lace,

I must go back to the beach again, to the leaping clouds of cotton,
And all I ask is a cloudy day when the sun has been forgotten,
When the orange sun low in the sky will poke through shimmering clouds,
And leave a tiny ray of light that's waiting to be found,

I must go back to the beach again, to the glittering stars in the sea,
And all I ask is a cool, clear night when the moon smiles down on me,
And the millions of stars above my head will shimmer in the sky,
And the dark nighttime will swallow up the lonesome ocean's sigh.

*Based on the poem "Sea Fever" by John Masefield.